Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Photo! And Other Things



There's an exciting picture of some of my host family and me eating. Albertine, the younger co-wife, is the person in the front of the picture. Hopefully y'all know which person I am. If not, I'm the one in a green and yellow pagne.

Life continues to be good here in Farendé. I feel very at home with my host family, I take cold and refreshing bucket showers each day, my digestive tract is functioning properly, and many other positive things.

In the last week, I started following the World Cup through hearsay and radio, bought a cool pair of sandals for $1.20, taught 2 successful English classes, met with a traditional healer who heavily integrates Christian prayer into his practice, learned about Farendé's Center for Social Affairs, and sat in on several walk-in consultations at the local medical center. Another eventful week.

I'm inclined to say that I'm staying busy, but, in fact, that's not true. People here take a customary afternoon nap from noon to 3, and everything stops after 6:30 or 7:00, when the sun goes down. That being the case, there's a lot of free time and not a lot of internet to kill it with. To kill downtime, therefore, I do a ton of reading, listening to my mp3 player, and thinking.. Yes, it can get a bit boring.

One last note: yesterday, I ate a particularly delicious food called corico. Corico is the same thing as french fries, except made out of yams. They are salted up exactly like American french fries but aren't as gooey on the inside. I was a happy camper.

A la prochaine!

3 comments:

  1. Uh I'm still confused about which one is you...
    -Glen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, you are so awesome!
    You are the best writer evvaa and you are eating fufu like in Things Fall Apart and you make me feel like I am in Togo when I read your blog and aaaaahhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. c'est bien genial de te voir parmi les siens, bon courage pour la suite!
    Nicolas

    ReplyDelete